As we return to school, we look forward to a more traditional school year, while still continuing protocols to keep our community safe. We recognize that while we are still processing and filling gaps caused by the pandemic, we are entering our second year of full, in-person, everyday attendance for our community. It's a gift that I don't think anyone will ever take for granted again!
Having our community together brings an energy to our building that resounds throughout. It's wonderful to see classrooms of students and adults learning, hear their voices, see their interactions and share their thoughts. We see our students changing for Physical Education to they can continue to improve their minds and body with this important instruction. We hear music coming from all places, and see students in our courtyard drawing in art classes. We see hallways being decorated with welcoming signs and student work. This is a community of learning, excitement and possibilities!
Our pillars are Diversity, Equity, Empowerment and Persistence. You will experience this in our classrooms, our hallways, our opportunities and throughout our campus. Our instruction is grounded in our pillars, as is all we do to make the education our students receive relevant, challenging, accessible and interesting.
We are here for each other as we support the various learning needs of our community, be they academic or social-emotional. We also understand the importance of family and community, and will work together to increase intergenerational economic mobility for all.
Here are some specifics about FDR, so you can get to know us.
- We celebrate diversity - there are 50-60 languages spoken in our hallways and homes. We have bilingual Mandarin and Spanish programs. We also house almost 1100 English Language Learners as well as about 1200 former English Language Learners.
- We have a wide range of boys and girls PSAL sports from basketball to badminton, from football to bowling, and so much more!
- FDR is proud to showcase our STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) program, with concentrations in Programming/Robotics, Multimedia Design, Science and Environmental Research and Pre-Healthcare Careers, as well as Technical Theater and Visual Art Design. These are supported by partnerships with Microsoft and CUNY, Roundabout Theater and more.
- We provide Adult ESL and GED classes for our community's 21+ year old members via our partnership with NYC DOE District 79 Adult Education Progrms
- We work together with our families to graduate students who are college and career ready.
- Students have the opportunity to take college credit-bearing courses through CUNY-Kingsborough Community College and partnerships with Stanford and Arizona State University
- As a large, comprehensive high school, we offer courses in the arts, with ceramics, photography, fine arts, band, concert band, guitar, ukulele, computer arts and more!
- We are proud of our Theater Program, and our new Educational Option of Performing Arts. Recent spring productions have been Clue, In the Heights, Into the Woods, Pippin and more; they were magical!
- Our mascot is the Cougar! Follow the cougar tracks into our building and see its influence throughout the school.
- Our facility is magnificent; we have our beautiful campus entrance, our sunny building, and our great vibe.
- The people within our community define our culture, our aspirations and our understanding that students learn best when they feel supported, comfortable taking risks, and develop resilience to continue trying to improve.
- We are here to serve the students of the City of New York; our commitment to excellence and equity drives us to best prepare our students to rise to the challenges ahead!