My name is Melanie Katz. It is my pleasure to welcome you to the FDR community. I was very fortunate to join FDR High School as Principal in June 2015, and I'd like to share some of the wonderful things about our family:
- We celebrate diversity - there are 58 languages spoken. We have bilingual Mandarin and Spanish programs. We also house almost 1300 English Language Learners as well as about 1200 former English Language Learners.
- We have a wide range of boys and girls PSAL sports from basketball to badminton, from football to bowling, and so much more!
- FDR is proud to announce our new STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) program, with concentrations in Programming/Robotics, Multimedia Design, Science Research and Environmental Studies. These are supported by partnerships with Microsoft and Touro College.
- We work together with our families to graduate students who are college and career ready.
- Students have the opportunity to take college credit-bearing courses through CUNY-Kingsborough Community College and Touro College
- As a large, comprehensive high school, we offer courses in the arts, with ceramics, photography, fine arts, band, concert band, guitar, ukulele, computer arts and more!
- We are proud of our Theater Program, and our new Educational Option of Performing Arts. Last year, our spring production was the musical Pippin; it was magic!
- Our mascot is the Cougar! Follow the cougar tracks into our building and see it's influence throughout the school.
- Our facility is magnificent; we have our beautiful campus entrance, our sunny building, and our great vibe.
- The people within our community define our culture, our aspirations and our understanding that students learn best when they feel supported, comfortable taking risks, and develop resilience to continue trying to improve.
- We are here to serve the students of the City of New York; our commitment to excellence and equity drives us to best prepare our students to rise to the challenges ahead!
The most important part of FDR is our community. Along with academic growth, we support our students emotionally and socially. Our staff cares about our students. Any afternoon, you will find scheduled and unscheduled tutoring, clubs, celebrations and excitement.
FDR High School is proud and humbled to serve our students. Thank you for this honor.
FDR High School: Brooklyn's Bridge to Your Future!