Freshman Applying for 10th Grade Transfer
Registration for only the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT) and LaGuardia High School auditions is now open!
High School Applications for regular programs will open the week of January 19, 2021. Deadline for this application is February 23, 2021.
After the application opens, families can:
- Add programs to their "favorites" list.
- Add programs to their application and arrange the programs in their preference order.
- Submit their application.
- Change their application any time until February 23, 2021.
High School Admissions Timeline:
January 15, 2021: Deadline to register for the SHSAT
Week of January 19, 2021: High School Application opens
February 23, 2021: High School Application deadline for families, deadline to register for LaGuardia auditions.
March 1, 2021: High School Application data entry deadline for School Staff
March 1, 2021: Deadline to submit audition files
Late Spring/Summer: High School offers are released, waitlists open
Late Summer/Early Fall: Waitlists close
Resources for Families:
Admissions information and videos: schools.nyc.gov/High
Specialized High School: schools.nyc.gov/SHS
MySchools directory, registration and application: MySchools.nyc
2021 NYC High School Admissions Guide: schools.nyc.gov/HSGuide
Sign up for email updates: schools.nyc.gov/SignUp
Call the office of Student Enrollment: 718-935-2009
If you need a Pin# or Creation Code, please reach out to Ms. Loretta Bravata at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The eight testing Specialized High Schools: Any 8th grade or first-time 9th grade student (who lives in NYC) can participate in admissions for any/all of these schools by registering for and then taking the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT).
- Register by January 15 to take the SHSAT.
- New! During SHSAT registration, families or school counselors will indicate the student’s Specialized High School preference order in MySchools. Families can list up to all eight testing Specialized High Schools in preference order, starting with their top choice as #1. The student will be considered for admission to these Specialized High Schools. Families will no longer submit choices on their SHSAT answer sheet.
- Take the SHSAT starting in late January. 8th grade public school students will take the SHSAT at their current school on January 27, 2021. Other students will take the SHSAT at central DOE locations. These locations, along with all test dates, will be announced in the coming weeks.
The one audition Specialized High School, LaGuardia High School: Any 8th grade or first-time 9th grade student (who lives in NYC) can apply to any/all of the programs at LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and the Performing Arts by registering to audition and then submitting audition materials online. Please note that the SHSAT is not used for admission to LaGuardia High School.
- Register to audition by the week of February 22.
- Families can log into MySchools (myschools.nyc) to register their child for LaGuardia High School auditions. When they do, they will indicate which programs their child will audition for. Students can audition for one or up to all six of the programs at LaGuardia High School.
- Audition this winter. All high school auditions—including for LaGuardia High School—will take place virtually this year.
- To audition, students will submit audition files through a new Virtual Audition Submission Tool, and school counselors can also submit files through this tool on behalf of their current students. This tool will open in early January; we will notify schools and families when you can access it, and we will share detailed instructions with school staff at that time.
- Updated requirements for audition programs are available here; these will be posted in the MySchools directory in the coming weeks. These will help students prepare for their virtual auditions, even before the Virtual Audition Submission Tool is open.